You’ve learned about the benefits of journaling, you’ve learned how to start journaling, and now you find yourself with a blank journal before your eyes.
What to write? When I began journaling, I had no idea what to write about. Talk about writer's block.
It took me a while to realize but prompts make it incredibly seamless to start writing. The question of what to write about is eliminated; simply pick a prompt and start spilling.
Journal prompts serve different purposes. Some are great for self-reflection, and others are great for goal setting. This list has various prompts for various reasons, so find one that best suits what you’re looking for.
Whether your objective is to begin journaling today, or you’re a veteran journaler who needs inspiration, this list is for everyone. Take a prompt and run with it.
Journal Prompts for Reflection
- What do I look forward to every day?
- What am I most scared of?
- How was my day? What defined whether it was good or bad?
- What is my greatest strength?
- What is my greatest weakness?
- Do I enjoy spending time alone? Why or why not?
- What is a defining moment in my life?
- What in my life is non-negotiable?
- What lesson would you teach your past self?
- How do I value my time?
Journal Prompts for Inspiration
- Brainstorm a bucket list!
- Describe my ideal life in five years. Get specific.
- Write my biggest goals for this year.
- What are five affirmations I need to hear right now?
- What is my favorite memory?
- What is my favorite book? Why?
- What is one quote I strive to live by?
- Where in the world do I most want to visit?
- Describe my ideal home in the future. Be as detailed as possible.
- Think of five songs that revitalize me. Now, make a playlist.
Journal Prompts for Discovery
- What are the necessary boundaries in my life?
- What are my career ambitions?
- What are my personal values?
- Do I live by my personal values?
- What do I regret in life?
- Is my self-talk positive or negative? What is one way I can improve it?
- If you had children, what is the one value you’d most want to be instilled in them?
- What have you learned from past relationships?
- What makes you lose track of time? (Hint: you should do more of it!)
- What would you do with $50 million?
Journal Prompts for Direction
- What would I do with my life if money were irrelevant?
- What are my innate talents?
- Do I surround myself with people who match my level of ambition?
- What are five things I can do in the next week to work towards a specific goal?
- What captivated me as a child?
- What value do I offer to others?
- What do I enjoy doing in my free time?
- What are my top three priorities in life?
- Do my daily habits reflect where I want to be in a year?
- What are my ideal eulogy virtues? How do I want to be remembered?